Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Raspberry Pi Python Adventures Review

More work, less social media


2013 kept me quite busy. I worked hard on Dion Research doing digital signage and interfacing with manufacturing equipment. I also took on a new position doing more Python development. And increased quite a bit the number of social events in the local Python community (actual physical events). What this means is that social media interaction slowed down some. This was even worse in the other languages, such as french, spanish and portuguese. The output there was quite spotty. Still, some of the articles and tweets I posted in 2013 were quite popular.

Most Popular


Hardware hacking and Python in the browser were the 2 most popular themes. In fact, in the #1 spot by far in terms of views in 2013 was an article on Brython from December 2012:

http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/12/brython-browser-python.html

Now, a year later, Brython has been through many changes, including more javascript compatibility (and ongoing restructuring). You can learn more by checking out the Brython documentation.

Soliloquy: I spent a few weeks preparing something on Brython for PyCon, but the talk didn't get accepted, unfortunately, and has left me a bit ambivalent about conferences: Is my time better served building elaborate talks on open source projects I contribute to, for conferences I may not get invited to? Or spending the time on the actual projects coding, or even on this blog?

But not all is a loss for you, the reader, since I'll post some of that material on this blog in the coming months.

The #2 was this article on making your own GPIO cable for the still very popular Raspberry Pi:

http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2013/02/making-your-own-raspberrypi-gpio-cable.html


Completing the podium at #3 for 2013 was:

http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2013/01/pyhacking-step-by-step.html

Least Popular


The least popular articles were all administrative in nature, such as the announcement of the addition of a contact form. It is clear that very few are interested in these kinds of posts, and they will continue to stay at a minimum for 2014.

2014

I just started yesterday a PTOT[D, W, M] (Python Tip Of The Day, Week, Month...). I'm curious to see how popular that will turn out to be. I'll also be introducing something new to help Windows users to get the most out of Python. Still, I recommend to get yourself a Raspberry Pi running Linux as a sidekick to your Windows machine, you'll be happier that way.

I'm also thinking about covering web.database, browser.local_storage, sqlalchemy, alembic and a few other database related themes.




What are some of the themes you'd like to hear about?


François
@f_dion

No comments: